Sunday, September 9, 2012

Revamp in Prep for Next Grow

It's finally cooled down here.  No more +105F degree days.  I'll be starting a grow of bell peppers, basil, and lettuce shortly.

Latest additions worth mentioning:

1.  I added lids to control algae growth.  These were cut from a medium sized Rubbermaid container.  I found that early in plant development, prior to leaves shading of the hydroton, that the intense light was causing unsightly algae.

2.  Purchased an ebb and flow Botanicare microgarden system for leafy greens and herbs.  The unit is constructed of food grade ABS plastic and is fairly sturdy (though not as sturdy as the PowerGrowers).  It came with some type of cocoa coir substrate, but I'm going to use hydroton.  I've had success with hydroton and ebb and flows in the past, so I don't think it'll be an issue.



No comments:

Post a Comment